The Royal Observatory, Greenwich was commissioned in 1675 by King Charles II. The king also created the position of Astronomer Royal (initially filled by John Flamsteed), to serve as the director of the observatory and to "apply himself with the most exact care and diligence to the rectifying of the tables of the motions of the heavens, and the places of the fixed stars, so as to find out the so much desired longitude of places for the perfecting of the art of navigation."
National Maritime Museum Photo Studio
Look for more National Maritime Museum Photo Studio prints.
Exterior of Queen's House, Greenwich appears in: