Crowley House was one of many fine 17th and 18th century Greenwich residences, begun in 1647 by the royalist London merchant Sir Andrew Cogan. It was sold in 1651 to the Regicide MP, Gregory Clement, who completed the house but was executed in 1660. George Bouwerman, who then occupied it to 1677, held a contract from Charles II to ballast Navy ships from Ballast Quay, to the east, and in 1704 his successor, Nicholas Cook, sold it to the Newcastle ironfounder, Sir Ambrose Crowley. His alterations added working buildings (see PAH0113), and Thomas Pennant later in the century reported the grounds scattered with Crowley company anchors and other ironware.
Original size: 366 mm x 375 mm
Look for more Clarkson Stanfield prints.