King Charles II founded the Royal Observatory in 1675 in order to find the longitude. It was designed by Sir Christopher Wren, himself an astronomer, and built on the foundations of Greenwich Castle. In July 1676, John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal, moved into the building which has been called Flamsteed House ever since.
National Maritime Museum Photo Studio
Look for more National Maritime Museum Photo Studio prints.
Flamsteed House, Royal Observatory, Greenwich appears in: