This ship was initially launched in 1869 as the now famous 'Cutty Sark'. She was involved in the tea trade and from 1885 to 1895 the Australian wool trade but due to the owner's financial problems, was then sold to the Portuguese and renamed the 'Ferreira'. By the early 1920s she was in a sorry state of repair and underwent a refit at London's Surrey Docks. She was discovered by Captain Wilfred Dowman who remembered her from her heyday in the 1880s and bought her from her Portuguese owners to have her restored and re-rigged. After his death in 1938, his widow presented the clipper to the Incorporated Thames Nautical Training College at Greenhithe on the Thames, where she remained until after the Second World War until 1954 when she was moved into a specially constructed dry dock at Greenwich. Her Majesty the Queen opened her to visitors in 1957 and she has been a popular visitor attraction ever since.
Look for more unknown prints.
'Ferreira' in the Albion Dock, Surrey Commercial Docks, London appears in: