A study of the Meridian Building of the Royal Observatory from the lower ground of the Park to the north-east, with Park visitors in the foreground. This was apparently drawn in the early stages of the replacement of the 'onion' dome on the Great Equatorial Tower, which is shown topped with a roofed scaffold structure, walled in plastic sheet or net. The original Victorian dome (1894) was badly damaged in WWII. The present one, installed to receive back the 28-inch Great Equatorial refracting telescope from the Royal Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux, is a fibreglass replica. The reinstalled telescope was officially recommissioned in the dome to mark the Observatory's tercentenary in 1975.
Original size: 236 mm x 356 mm
Look for more Peter Roberson prints.
Greenwich Observatory appears in: