Product images of Coastal view four miles north-eastward of Reskar Lighthouse, Baro Sound, Finland
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Coastal view four miles north-eastward of Reskar Lighthouse, Baro Sound, Finland
Mounted in album with PAI4673-PAI4677, PAI4679-PAI4716.; No.6. No. 6 in Fanshawe's Baltic and later album, 1843-1883. Captioned by the artist on the album page below the image, 'Four miles N.E. ward of the Reskar Lighthouse, Baro Sound / Sept 5th 1855'. The Baro Sound is east of Helsingfors (now Helsinki) in the Gulf of Finland and was where the French and English fleets made rendezvous before the attack on the fortress of Sweaborg (Suomenlinna) there in early August 1855, during the Crimean War. Fanshawe went there after leaving the 'Cossack' for command of the 'Hastings', one of four old 74-gun 3rd-rates fitted as 'block ships' for the Baltic campaign, with cheap screw engines and heavy armament of 60 x 68-pounders. Their purpose was to take the brunt in any attack on heavily armed forts and spare newer and more valuable vessel. 'Hastings' was sent to lie in the Baro Sound and cover British ship movements from any attack from Sweaborg. She did so for three weeks at the end of the Baltic sailing season, when Fanshawe was becoming steadily more disabled by 'rheumatic gout'. On the ship then being ordered home, and unable to fulfil his duties, he formally handed over command to the master, though remaining on board. The view here looks south-west towards the lighthouse and the Russian coast.
Edward Gennys Fanshawe
Original size: 127 mm x 179 mm
- Image reference: PZ4678
- National Maritime Museum