Product images of Ensign of the Imperial German Foreign Office (1892-1918)
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Ensign of the Imperial German Foreign Office (1892-1918)
The ensign of the Imperial German Foreign Office. The ensign is accompanied by a label which states: 'This flag captured from the Germans at BUEA during the Cameroons campaign and is the property of Captain L H K Hamilton, Royal Navy'. The ensign is made of wool bunting with a cotton hoist. It is machine sewn at the ends with the entire design printed onto the fabric. A rope is attached to hoist the ensign.
The design: three horizontal stripes of black, white and red, with an Imperial eagle with red beak and claws on the circular panel in the centre. This design was used for official buildings and vessels in German protectorates.
The ensign was acquired by Louis Henry Keppel Hamilton (1892-1957). The town of Buea had surrendered without resistance at the approach of British forces on 15 November 1914. Hamilton remained there until November 19th.
Original size: 1981 mm x 2946 mm
- Image reference: L0181
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London