Product images of Ironclad ram 'Rupert' (Br, 1872)
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Ironclad ram 'Rupert' (Br, 1872)
Scale: 1:48. A contemporary builder's full hull model of the ironclad ram 'Rupert' (1872). It is fully rigged and includes a full set of boats stowed on the bridge deck as well rigged to the davits. Main deck fittings include a full set of anchors and their operating gear, scuttles for loading coal for the engines and skylights and ventilators for providing light and fresh air below decks.
The 'Rupert' was one of two ironclads specially designed by Sir E. J. Reed for ramming tactics. It was to be the last British armoured ship to be built for the coastal service until the appearance of the 'monitors' in the First World War. Because its chief weapon was the heavily armoured ram bow, it had few guns and as such, the line of fire forward was restricted due to the rigging of the foremast shrouds. Another unfortunate design fault was that it could never make the speed for which it was designed, thus decreasing considerably the effectiveness of its major weapon.
The 'Rupert' was built at the Royal Naval Dockyard, Chatham, and measured 250 feet in length by 53 feet in the beam and had a tonnage of 5440 burthen. The hull was protected by 11- and 12- inch armour plating with 14 inches on the forward turret. It was powered by Napier steam engines, which were designed to produce a speed of 14 knots. However, this speed was not achieved until a major reconstruction and re-armament in 1893. The early years of its career were spent in the Mediterranean after which it was either in reserve or as a port guard ship including Alexandria and later Bermuda, where it was eventually sold for disposal in 1907.
- Image reference: F8835-003
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London