Product images of Keel of boat brought back by Schwatka
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Keel of boat brought back by Schwatka
The keel of a boat with piece of keel-stem and keelson attached and a large iron ring. Part of a boat abandoned at Erebus Bay, King William Island by members of Sir John Franklin's 1845-48 expedition. It was sighted by F. L. McClintock's search expedition in May 1859 and retrieved by the Schwatka expedition in July 1879.
In the years between the two search expeditions the Inuit had broken the boat up. They reported to Hall and Schwatka, that they had found a second boat at Erebus Bay and 14 more skeletons. Although Schwatka could not find the other boat, he discovered the bones of four Europeans in this area. Barry Ranford found a boat site on a small island in Erebus Bay in 1993. An excavation revealed the remains of eleven more individuals.
- Image reference: D9484
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London