Product images of The East Indiaman 'General Goddard' capturing Dutch East Indiamen, June 1795
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
The East Indiaman 'General Goddard' capturing Dutch East Indiamen, June 1795
This painting depicts an engagement that took place off St Helena on 11th June 1795, during the war with France. Also shown are the East India Company packet 'Swallow', commanded by William Clifton, and the 3rd rate ship 'HMS Sceptre', captained by William Essington. The 'General Goddard', 755 tons was an important ship in the history of the east India Company fleet. The vessel was built to replace or 'on the bottom of' the 'Royal (Saint) George' by Randall, Brent and Sons in 1781. It was originally owned by William Money. During 1795 it was commanded by William Taylor Money. The General Goddard was the first vessel to be part-owned, in 1788, by Robert Wigram the future owner of Blackwall Yard and the leading ship husbandman of the period. The incident depicted in the painting took place during the return leg of the vessel's fifth voyage for the company, also known as the Cape Expedition, and which resulted in the capture of nine Dutch East Indiamen. The General Goddard and the seven other East India ships that eventually made up the homeward bound convoy reached their moorings between the 16 and 19 October 1795. The other vessels were the 'Asia', 'Essex', 'Manship', 'Airly Castle', 'Lord Hawkesbury', 'Busbridge' and the 'Earl of Wycombe'.
Object number: BHC0479
Date: late 18th century - early 19th century
Dimensions: 1143 mm x 1841 mm
- Image reference: BHC0479
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London