The gate and porter's lodge at the entrance to Woolwich Dockyard
The dockyard was founded in 1513 by Henry VIII for the building of his new ship, the Great Harry. At 1500 tons it was the largest ship of its day. The vessel was destroyed by fire at Woolwich in 1553. When the Sovereign of the Seas was built here in 1637 the dockyard had been enlarged and access could be gained to the rope yard which was completed in 1574. The gatehouse and clockhouse were built between 1780-1789. The yard continued to be enlarged until the middle of the 19th century in order to build steamships. In 1869 the yard closed.
- Image reference: H0391
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
More by this artist
Search for similar images
Product images of The gate and porter's lodge at the entrance to Woolwich Dockyard
We use a 240gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Delivery & returns
We print everything to order so delivery times may vary but all unframed prints are despatched within 2-4 days via courier or recorded mail.
Due to the coronovirus pandemic and Brexit situation, current shipping times may be longer, particularly for destinations outside the UK.
Delivery to the UK is £5 for an unframed print of any size.
We will happily replace your order if everything isn’t 100% perfect.