Torridon House, D. Darroch, Esqr. September 1883 [Scotland]
Mounted in album with PAI4673-PAI4715.; No.44. No. 44 in Fanshawe's Baltic and later album, 1843-1883. Captioned by the artist on the album page below the image, as title. The view shows the front of Torridon House, on the north shore of Upper Loch Torridon, with Ben Alligin (985 m) behind. The house was built by Duncan Darroch of Gourock (d. 1910), who bought the Torridon estate in 1873. He cleared it of sheep in order to create a deer forest and returned crofters to land from which they had been evicted during the Highland Clearances, allowing their cattle to share hill grazing with his deer. In the 20th century the house belonged to the Earls of Lovelace. This is one of a group of four drawings recording an autumn visit by Fanshawe to Scotland in his retirement (PAI4713 - 4716).
Edward Gennys Fanshawe
Original size: 176 mm x 251 mm
- Image reference: PZ4716
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
More by this artist
Search for similar images
Product images of Torridon House, D. Darroch, Esqr. September 1883 [Scotland]
We use a 240gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
Delivery & returns
We print everything to order so delivery times may vary but all unframed prints are despatched within 2-4 days via courier or recorded mail.
Due to the coronovirus pandemic and Brexit situation, current shipping times may be longer, particularly for destinations outside the UK.
Delivery to the UK is £5 for an unframed print of any size.
We will happily replace your order if everything isn’t 100% perfect.