Product images of Woolwich Dockyard
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are printed in the UK, using the latest digital presses and a giclée printmaking process.
We only use premium branded inks, and colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
The documents, from the Admiralty, consist of fifty-four plans, dating mostly from the early to mid-eighteenth century. There is one exception, dated 1846. Three are of the whole dockyard and two of the ropeyard, all to scale but undated. Five plans show parts of the river front, 1747; another shows the boundary of ground recently purchased in 1744; a plan and elevation shows the course of pipes laid to convey water to the yard, ca.1744; an undated plan shows a portion of the yard and an undated sketch is of part of the town between the Thames and the ropeyard. The remaining plans are of specific buildings and facilities. Two show the Pay Office, 1721 and undated, the latter depicting the internal arrangement of the office. Two plans, both 1764, are of the Guardhouse; twelve plans are designs for yard officers' houses, 1729, 1744, 1749, three 1751, two 1754 (four undated). Alterations in the Smith's shop are shown in eight plans, three 1721, 1744, 1846, three undated. Four plans and sections show existing and proposed building slips and one plan shows a section of the basin entrance. Five are of existing parts and proposed alterations to the Mast Pond and Mast Dock, 1720, 1732, 1734, 1753, 1754. Two undated plans are of the yard gates; two others are of storehouses, one 1732 and one undated. Finally there is a plan of officers' offices proposed in 1718 and an undated plan for a proposed Pitch House. There is no known body of records for this yard.
The dockyard at Woolwich was founded in 1512, and the ropeyard half a mile away in 1610. The yard was of particular importance to the Navy during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries; thereafter with limited space and facilities and the silting of the Thames, its value gradually declined. By 1800 its activities were restricted to building ships, fitting those built at Deptford or in merchant yards and refitting small vessels sent from the Nore. In 1839 a steam factory was established at Woolwich. The ropeyard was closed in 1835 and the dockyard in 1869.
Original size: 365 mm x 420 mm
- Image reference: L4543
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London